Yes! It’s true! I am now living in my own house!! I’m so excited to start this new journey and experience. I have been trying to live in a house for the longest. I went through the pros/cons of renting vs buying. I compared everything when it came towards living in a house. I have to tell you, it is hard as HELL deciding what to do. The best advice that I can give to you is to RENT. Yes, we all want to be able to say “I own my house” but not everyone should say that. Owning a house is a lot of work. Too much work for a 23 year old with a baby girl if you ask me.
When you OWN a home, you have to pay for everything. When I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING. Other than having a mortgage, which is wayyy cheaper than rent, you pay:
- internet (unless you get a bundle with your tv)
- sewage (might be combined together with water and trash but it depends on where you live)
- furniture (if you finance it)
- pest control
- lawn maintenance
- security (if you want an alarm system)
- home owner’s association fees (depends on the neighborhood)
- and last but not least, if anything breaks, you have to come out of pocket to fix it no matter how much it costs. Sucks right.
Those are a quick list of what I can think of at the moment of all the things that you have to pay for when you OWN your house. When you rent, it is SOOO much better than that. Just to give you a rundown of what I currently pay for:
- Cable/Internet/Phone (bundled)
- Pest control
- Water/Trash/Sewage (bundled)
- Lawn Maintenance (boyfriend cuts grass)
- Renter’s Insurance (which is only $20 a month)
- Furniture (I finance from a furniture company)
- If anything breaks, as long as it is not something that can not be taken cared of by me, the rental company pays for it to be fixed.
See how short of a list that is. Better, right? I think so. But yes, I am renting my house and I plan to stay here for a maximum of 5 years. I’m giving myself 5 more years in this city because I’ve already been here for 5 years and do not want to spend the rest of my life here. It’s too boring. Plus I don’t want to move Nya around anymore. We need to be stable for right now.
I will update you all on pictures of my house and how I plan to decorate it. I won’t make that many alterations to the house for a while like painting and stuff because I’m just too tired from moving. Hope you guys like the update. Stay tuned.